Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wombat Review Evil Dead (2013)

A group of friends go to a remote cabin in the woods to help the youngest member of the group kick a bad drug habbit. While exploring the cabin they find a book in the basement that unleashes an ancient evil with a thirst for blood.

For the most part when it comes to remakes I tend to not have high expections. Especaily when its a remake of a classic. Nightmare on Elm Street left me angry, Last house on the Left annoyed me, and Friday the 13th put me to sleep.

So how does the new Evil Dead stack up? I throughly enjoyed myself. The unique aporach they took was less of a remake and more of a countinution of the orginal story. Fans of the series will notice a lot of nods to the earlier films without have to ham it up.

The specail effects had a real feel to it which is a breath of fresh air in a world where cgi is looked at as god. The gore while not being as intense as say Ichi the Killer was still excuted on point and made me cringe a couple of times which props to the team that is not an easy task.

If you are a horror fan and even more so an Evil Dead, or Army of Darkness fan this film will leave you satisfied and wanting more films to come. Also without giving out to much details wait til the end of the credits, you will be happy you did.